Husson University places a strong value on our veterans, and we make every effort to accommodate your specific needs through the admissions process and beyond. We are a proud participant in the Yellow Ribbon Program and have agreed to the Principles of Excellence executive order. 

The Johnny Isakson and David P. Roe, M.D. Veterans Health Care and Benefits Improvement Act of 2020 requires educational institutions to make certain disclosures to students using federal military and/or VA educational benefits. You can access a personalized data sheet by visiting Husson University’s Net Price Calculator.  Additional financial information can be found at the NCES College Navigator site.

Getting Started at Husson University:

The first step in enrolling at Husson University is to apply for admission through the Admissions Office.

After you have been accepted and have confirmed that you will attend, you need to provide the following to the VA Certifying Official.

  1. Once and done:  You must submit a copy of your Certificate of Eligibility (COE) to the VA Certifying Official. You can email a copy of your COE or ebenefits main screen outlining your benefits.  You need only provide this at the onset of your enrollment and upon any changes to your eligibility status or VA chapter, as determined by the Veterans Administration.  Veterans or eligible dependents may contact the Veterans Administraion directly at 1-888-442-4551 or via the internet at for your information.
  2. Every semester or term: You need to complete the University's online Request for Certification Form and submit it to the Veterans Affairs Office prior to each enrollment period for which you wish to use your Veterans Education Benefits.  Submission of this form prompts the VA Certifying Official to certify your enrollment to the VA. The VA makes all determinations of your eligibility. 

To complete the request for certification: 

  • Visit 
  • Click on the link on the left hand side titled "Request for Certification" and process the form accordingly.

VA Support Services:

Please keep in mind that in addition to providing education benefits, the VA offers counseling, vocational rehabilitation and employment services, and tutorial assistance to eligible veterans and their dependents.  You are encouraged to work with the VA to maximize access to benefits and services.

You can reach the VA at 

University Student Support Services:

The following services are available for all students at Husson University: 


Veterans are often evaluated as transfer or adult students.  For further information, contact the Associate Director of Transfer Admissions at 207.941.7100 or by email The degree programs at Husson University are approved by the Maine State Approving Agency for Veterans Education Programs for persons eligible for Veteran’s Administration GI Bill ® benefits. Students who request veteran’s educational assistance are required to have all previous post-secondary experience evaluated for possible transfer credit in order to be eligible for benefits.

Center for Student Success

Six departments comprise Husson's Student Success Center:  Academic Services; Learning Center; Writing Center; Career Services; Disability Services; International Student Services.  Additionally, Husson's New Student Orientations, including EAGLEWeek, are housed within this Center, and students taking temporary leaves of absence from the University are also supported through this Center. We encourage you to seek their services directly shall you have a need. 

Counseling Services 

Husson Counseling Services (HCS) is dedicated to providing confidential support to all students in their pursuit of success.  The counselors are committed to supporting students as they use their strengths and resources to develop the skills essential for improved mood, personal growth, relationships and academic success.

Husson Counseling Services staff provides a number of services, including evaluation, personal coaching and performance enhancement, individual therapy, couples therapy, groups, outreach, consultation and instruction. They also offer substance abuse programming and counseling for students who are concerned about their own alcohol or substance abuse, or that of others. This might include prevention, early intervention, assessment, education, individual and group counseling, and referral.

Students are eligible for free, time-limited counseling services from our licensed mental health professionals between the hours of 8:00 am - 4:00 pm Monday through Friday.

Student Veteran Association (SVA) 

Husson University is proud to have an active chapter of Student Veterans of America on our campus. Students are given the opportunity to perform community service and satisfy their extra curricular activity requirements. Students in this group participate in fundraisers, Open House, the Veterans Day parade, perform community service, and have bi-weekly meetings. For more information contact the SVA leadership directly, SVA leadership information can be found on Husson University's web page. 

Veterans Services Center

Husson is proud to offer a student veterans services center designed to support the needs of veterans and dependents of veterans using VA education benefits while in attendance at Husson. The Veterans Services Center is a permanent office located at 209 Peabody Hall on the Bangor campus. The center is staffed by VA work-study students. The VA center is available to veterans and dependents of veterans using VA education benefits throughout the semester via student ID card access. 

The center provides a safe environment for veterans and dependents of veterans using VA education benefits to get connected. Services at the center include access to comfortable study spaces, computers, printers, a fax machine and a scanner. The center also has a microwave and a refrigerator.

Other Information You Should Know:

For Recipients of Chapter 33 and Chapter 31 benefits only:

Husson University will not deny a student access to classrooms, libraries or other institutional facilities, make the student borrow money to cover the cost while waiting for payment from the VA or charge a student a late fee or penalty while we are awaiting payment from the VA for tuition and fees. If the balance due is not related to tuition and fees Husson University may implement the same holds or penalties that apply to students not using Chapter 33 or Chapter 31 benefits.  

Husson University requires that students wishing to use their Chapter 33 or Chapter 31 benefits submit a request for certification online at In addition to this request, students are also required to submit a Certificate of Eligibility, a Form 1905 or a Statement of Benefit from the VA no later than the first day of classes.

This policy is written to comply with Section 103, PL 115-407 and ends when the VA makes payment or 90 days after the date the school certifies or invoices for tuition and fees provided the student submitted the required request for certification and required documentation outlining benefit eligibility. 

For Academic Policy Information please review Husson University's academic policies available at

Military Tuition Assistance Recipients

Military Tuition Assistance (TA) is awarded to a student under the assumption that the student will attend school for the entire period for which the assistance is awarded.  When a student withdraws, the student may no longer be eligible for the full amount of TA funds originally awarded. To comply with the U.S. Department of Defense policy, Husson University will return any unearned TA funds on a proportional basis through at least the 60% portion of the period for which the funds were provided. In instances when a Service member stops attending due to military service obligation, Husson University will work with the affected Service member to identify solutions that will not result in a student debt for the returned portion.


A student’s official withdrawal date is used as the last date of attendance and to calculate earned percentage of TA. A student’s official withdrawal date is determined by using the last date of attendance that is documented and submitted to the Office of the Registrar.  

Once the last date of attendance has been determined, Husson University will recalculate a student’s TA eligibility based on the following formula:

Number of days completed/Total days of the course (start to end date) = Percent of TA earned

The amount of TA funding that is earned is determined on a pro-rata basis. Once a student has attended at least 60% of the period for which TA funds were approved, the student is considered to have earned 100% of the TA funds.

For example: If a student enrolled for a term that was 109 days in length, attended 40 days of classes, the percent earned would be 36% (40/109 = .36). 64% of tuition assistance paid to the University must be returned possibly creating a balance on the student’s account.

In another example, if a student enrolled for a term that was 109 days in length, attended 75 days of classes, the percent earned would be 68% (68/109 = .68).  Since the student had completed at least 60% of the period for which TA funds were approved the student is considered to have earned 100% of the TA funds and there would be no return of TA.

Please note this policy is different than the institution’s standard refund policy.

Schedule of Return of Unearned TA Funds to the government:

15 Weeks in Length:

Week of Term Refund Percentage
During First Week 100%
During Second Week 90%
During Third Week 80%
During Fourth Week 70%
During Fifth Week 60%
During Sixth Week 50%
During Seventh Week 40%
During Eighth Week 30%
During Ninth Week 25%
After Ninth Week 0%

7 Weeks in Length:

Withdrawal Date Refund Percentage
During First Week 100%
During Second Week 80%
During Third Week 60%
During Fourth Week 40%
During Fifth Week 25%
After Fifth Week 0%

GI Bill® is a registered trademark of the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA). More information about education benefits offered by VA is available at the official U.S. government Web site at